Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tomato Soup Cake

Doesn't that sound yummy?!

IMG_3088

Does Campbell's condensed tomato soup seem like an unusual cake ingredient to you?

According to the book, "Southern cooks welcome unusual ingredients in their cakes, including fruit cocktail, cola, chocolate syrup, sauerkraut, baby food, mayonnaise, zucchini and graham cracker crumbs." Well, some of those ingredients seem more unusual than others...

Also, for your information, "Condensed tomato soup appeared on grocery shelves in 1897, and recipes for tomato soup cake were common in cookbooks by the 1930s."

I used butter instead of shortening--the recipe called for either. I don't think I got very good mixing... The batter was rather heterogeneous, as you can see:

IMG_3090

It baked up okay though, and I frosted this one. (Yes, I know I still have a lot to learn about how to frost a cake. It's a learning curve, people. I don't even like frosting that much. I have to learn how to stop worrying, and start loving the frosting...)

IMG_3093

How did it taste? Well, in addition to tomato soup, the recipe calls for allspice, cinnamon, and cloves...

Does that give you any hint?

Tomato soup cake tastes remarkably like pumpkin pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment