Saturday, September 12, 2009

Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting

I made this last week, for Labor Day.

This is the first Southern Cake I made the full recipe for; until this, I was halving the recipes.

IMG_3361

The recipe says, "You can use a mixer to cream the butter, sugar, and eggs, but be sure to stir in the flour, buttermilk, and bananas with a big spoon or spatula...to keep the cake tender." I kinda wish I did that, but I used the mixer for the whole thing. It was not exactly untender, but I'm curious to know if it would have been lighter.

One thing I've noticed so far is that cakes from scratch seem to have a certain weight to them that cakes from a box mix do not. The weight is good.

One thing for sure, I've had no trouble getting the cakes out of the baking pan. I do exactly what she says and grease and flour the cake pans very well. They side right out.

IMG_3362

Frosting continues to vex me. I need more practice, for one thing. But I also need more patience.

IMG_3365

I would also like to get two small-diameter cake pans with flat sides that I can make layered cakes with, but still using half the recipe. These cake pans had banked sides, and the layers don't stack very well even the bottom layer is inverted.

And for making frosting, I'd like to find a hand-held electric mixer instead of always using the KitchenAid. Handheld mixers, she says, are especially useful for making classic frostings. I can see how that would be true. I think you get more fine control over the mixing process using the smaller unit than using the stand mixer.

But alas, it all ends up in the same place...

IMG_3372

No comments:

Post a Comment