Monday, September 21, 2009

Coconut Cream Cake

Has anyone ever made a square coconut cake before? It was supposed to be a 2 layer cake, but the recipe didn't make quite enough batter for two pans so I thought I'd be wacky and use the square pan. Cakes take longer to bake in square pans than they do in round ones. Something to remember.

IMG_3536

I got panicky when the center was still raw while the edges were browning. I gouged the center with a spoon to open it up to oven heat, figuring the wound would heal or be covered with frosting...

IMG_3538

The frosting was just whipping cream whipped with 3 tbsp of powdered sugar--a very nice frosting, but still difficult to manipulate. Did it need more time mixing? Less time? By the end, I was just pressing it on with a spoon.

From this picture, it looks like I should have sprinkled more coconut on the cake, but in person it seemed fine. I continue to be impressed by how much weight and substance a real cake has, compared to box mixes. A real cake is much more satisfying to eat.

IMG_3539

Our friend Kelly came over for a tasting, and gave it her approval. So far, I think this is my second favorite cake from Southern Cakes. That Pineapple Upside Down Cake was amazing.

3 comments:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating coconut fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete